Sunday, May 11, 2008

More Music for a Rainy Day--Jan and Dean Bootleg


I like Jan and Dean, in a lightweight sort of way. Not an intense love affair, really. Like the way you like slim jims--you could do without them but they at times provide some cheap satisfaction. There is a large J & D cult. And Jan and Dean's catalogue is one of the easiest to to attain for completists as they've had their cuts reissued repeatedly in different formats--even while the group was still in existence. And I probably have some pent up jealousy issues of Jan and Dean fans because they were able to find a plethora of goodies at little expense while in my youth I had to pester the employees of Princeton Record Exchange to hold any Curt Boettcher stuff behind the counter.


The guys do have some great qualities. They have the Brian Wilson-connection with gives them some major pointage. Jan also gave Gary Zekley a break early in his career by doing the Restless Surfer for J & D's "Ride the Wild Surf" Lp.


I like Zekley a lot.


One issue I have with the duo (now I know this may sound petty, and I know it is totally my problem that i have to get over) is that when I was 15 I bought the biopic on vhs at a flea market and I watched it. It was actually pretty good, and I got all tingly when Mike Love came out at the end. But the actor who played Dean (Bruce Davison) also played the dad on the "Harry and the Hendersons" TV show in the early 90's. So maybe I should grow up, but I can't help connect Dean forever with the actor playing him. Even when I see this guy on other shows, somewhere in the dark chunks of my brain (the medulla I believe) I think it's Dean.


Say it--I'm a simple minded twit.


The early pre-surf songs are ok even if recorded in a rusty oil can. And the surf songs are catchy and slick, but teen fare.


Then Dean made "Save for a Rainy Day" while Jan was rehabilitating from the accident. He did it to keep the name alive, so he says. I like to think it was his way of saying "I can do it too, you egomaniacal jerk. What, with your magnetic stare and rugged yet wiry build."

That album is a lost classic, released on Sundazed a few years ago with bonus tracks.

I like that album too; all the songs have to do with rain and it's quite harmless.

One of those albums that you listen to and don't feel any different afterwards.

But being a sunshine pop enthusiast, when I ran into "More Music for a Rainy Day", a 28 track bootleg of outtakes and alternate versions from those sessions, I got more than a bit excited.


In addition to different takes of "Like a Summer Rain", "Raindrops", "Rain on the Roof", "A Taste of Rain", "Crying in the Rain", "Pocket Full of Rainbows", and "Here Comes the Rain", there were two unreleased tracks, not even bonus tracks on the Sundazed comp-"Rhythm of the Rain" and "Louisiana Man". The only other version of "Louisiana Man" I'd ever heard was from some Czech vocal band called the Rangers from 1970 maybe.


I like the Rangers.


I got so excited. You should have seen me. I rushed home because my cd player in the car doesn't work. Driving home I openened the insert in the jewel case thinking that there might be some super cool extra stuff, although I know that never is the case with bootlegs.


And when I got home I listened to it.


And life went on normal afterwords.


Then I came to an important realization. There's a difference between listening to a Beach Boys bootleg and a J & D bootleg. Beach Boys instrument only or vocals only takes are at times incredibly beautiful. Listen to their vocal track for "Time to Get Alone" or "Breakaway". Something mystical happens when you play them.

Dean could have put "Louisiana Man" or "Rhythm of the Rain" on the album instead of "Pocket Full of Rainbows" or any other track besides "Yellow Balloon" and you would have pretty much the same product. Listening to Jan and Dean outtakes is like listening to Jan and Dean released songs. The vocals are at times weak, which really doesn't differ from the final version of the album. The instruments are quite nice but nowhere near complex.

Maybe Jan had a better idea of how to sculpt arrangements to give you a chill. Maybe he didn't.


Again, I like Jan and Dean. But I like the Five Americans too. Both made some great tunes and contributed to the evolution of music history and give me something to smile when I think about my teenage years. But where is the care and respect put into the catalogue of the Five Americans or Don and the Goodtimes or Tommy Roe?


Just a thought.
Check out more soft pop/easy listening tunes from the comfort of your uncomfortable chair here:





4 comments:

  1. Completely hilarious and couldn't agree with you more (except that Save for A Rainy Day has at least 5 truly great songs, not just yellow balloon). I mean think about it...."here comes tha rain...I hope it does some goooooooooooood.......AS IF YOU THOUGHT IT COOOOOOUUULD!!!" Great song, who cares if it contains all the earnest sentimentality of your average 6th grader. Curt Boettcher, however, at least for about 8 years or so, was a god.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, fine. I'm easy. I like when Sunny Gets Blue TOO

    By the way did you happen to hear the bonus interview track on the Yellow Balloon disc where Gary Zekley discusses the recording of the Yellow Balloon single as well as his choosing "Yodar Critch" as producer identity? Funny stuff. Really informative in like 10 minutes and he sounded like a really cool guy. Really grounded.
    Speaking of interviews and earnest sentimentality, i was watching one with Brian Wilson discussing the writing process of Pet Sounds, and at first it sounds pretty normal. He says how he and tony asher got together to write and how it was just them with no distractions. He says something like " noone was walking in on us or bothering us" pause "no burglars came in with guns and bothered us". What a strange mind. I laughed but then i realized that quality is probably what allowed him, partially, to make such songs of pure honest emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew i could wait to respond longer than you could, Kip. The Zekley interview is enlightening in that when you're done listening to it you wonder "now WHY is there a cult surrounding this guy?" and "did he just say that yellow Balloon was 'Bitchin??' I think the romance ended after I realized nothing he only did about 5 or 6 great songs after that album. I like Superman, tho. But I like REMs version too. False start. Anyhow, ever notice there's only like 3 pictures of Curt Boettcher that were ever taken and two are from the 70's when he looked all fey and wan and permed. Can't really make a hip t-shirt out of those pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Siiick, The Legendary Masked Surfers double vinyl bootleg, is like the best, as well as the rarities one with Space and Time on it. Love Jan and Dean, I live in California and surf. Your Channel on YouTube is the best out there, keep it up man.

    ReplyDelete