Saturday, February 21, 2009

GOLLY MCCRY PART ONE

Hi.

The best way to present the story of a true modern musical icon--Golly McCry--is to get right to the story. I won't bore you with any sparse commentary. The story really unfolds magnificently--the detail, the motivation, his nascent musical tastes are all touched upon--as well as the musical climate of Germany in his youth. The most mindrocking questions--the angle that made me want to know more about this gentleman--what made this young guy in Germany decide to a) record his own music at home; b) record garage and surf music; and c) film his own videos a full decade before youtube made this practice common? Musical genius abounds throughout the story, as is evident in his home recordings. Golly is the R. Stevie Moore of garage music, and he will soon get the recognition that is due him.

In his own words, here is part one of

THE AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL SAGA OF GOLLY MCCRY--GARAGE MUSIC REVIVALIST:

Lets begin here

I was born on 11.th April 1971 in Köthen (Germany)as the youngest of 4 children.
Köthen is a town in East-Germany formerly territory DDR (GDR).
I grew up listening to music that came from a cassette tape recorder of my oldest
sister. It included some of the mainstream music (end60s/early70s.)
So its hard to say what song brought me to music.
I dont think it was a song or album anyway.
In east germany there was only one record label for all ,called AMIGA.
They mostly released bands from east-germany or sometimes the big acts from UK/US.
I remember when I was in school, I think it was every Wednesday, I was going to
our record store, 1 hour before they opened in the afternoon to get the newest
release of... (what was it?... nobody knew). People standing over an hour in line
in front of the record store but nobody knew what album of what band was released
this week. It could be great or it could be a mess. But we bought it anyway,
nobody wanted to waste his time in vain.
The best thing you could do was listening to west germany`s radio stations, if
you wanted to hear good music. (my opinion, but that leads to a political direction
and away from the question).
I think it was more important for me that my 10 year older sister took guitar
lessons in the end 70s or early80s. And when I came home from school one day
she was playing on guitar and singing "The Circle Game" (Buffy Sainte-Marie song)
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=0608QlhCYiQ. I really was impressed by that. I loved
hear her play that song. I loved the sound of the guitar.
And one day she showed me how to tune a guitar, maybe I was 9 or 10 or even younger
I cant remember really and I think THAT brought me into music.


to be continued....

2 comments:

  1. hi there !

    im a big fan of GollyMcCry .
    he is ....
    yes 100% is GREAT !!
    and he has a good sense of humor .
    think he has talent .
    the splendid sound of guitar !!
    im hooked on it :))

    so hes hot !!

    cant wait for the story of GollyMcCry

    thanks for the great post :))

    kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting Golly! I can't wait to hear the rest of the story. xoxo

    ReplyDelete